Hello! I saw this gear embossing folder at JoAnns and thought it was so cool and would be the perfect addition to some Father’s Day cards.
I started with a piece of black cardstock measuring 4.5 x 6 inches. I ran it through my Big Shot using the Steam Punk (aka ‘Gears’) embossing folder from Darice. I pulled out my metallic gelatos and colored the gears using my sponge daubers. For one card, I used silver ice, gold champagne, metallic blueberry and metallic icing. For the second card I used the silver ice and gold champagne with iced chai and iced pear. I went around the gelatos on the embossed card so that the colors were spaced pretty evenly. I was really happy with how it turned out.
I then cut the embossed card down to 4 x 5.25 inches so that I could mount it on an A2 card. I went around the embossed card with my manatee ink pad from Lawn Fawn but I can’t really see it 🙂
I cut a long piece of my vellum about 2.25 inches thick. For the card that I used the metallic blueberry gelato, I used took my faded jeans distress oxide pad, colored the back of the vellum and then wiped off as much of the ink as I could with a cloth to give it a softer look. For the embossed card that I used the iced pear, I used iced spruce distress oxide ink but I totally think it would look good with peeled paint.
I spritzed the vellum with my water bottle to activate the ink and then dabbed it with my cloth. The faded jeans is much more noticeable than the iced spruce. I then stamped the Happy Father’s Day from the same set on the vellum with verseMark and then heat embossed it with Ranger Gold embossing powder. Just be careful when heating the vellum. First get the gun nice and hot before you introduce it to the vellum and I just sweep it over the image until it embosses. This kept the powder from over embossing on the thin paper.
I decided to distress the edges a bit because I didn’t want to have such a clean line with the vellum. On the first card, I used my mono eraser (which worked ok) but I wanted a bit more so I got out the old sand paper! This worked much better! I just used it to distress the edges of the vellum strip.
I attached the vellum to the ‘gear’ card base by folding it and securing the flap of the vellum to the back with some strong adhesive. I also put a few drops of Ranger Multi Medium adhesive under the embossed sentiment so that it would hold better to the ‘gear’ card base but not be visible. I placed my big acrylic block on top of the card while the adhesive dried to make sure that it would stick nice and good.
I have some shiny gold paper that I bought at Michaels awhile ago that I thought would be a good card base. I cut it down to 4.25 x 11 inches and folded it in half at 5.5 inches to make a top folding card.
I used my Be creative adhesive to attach the ‘gear’ background to the card base and then used my bone folder to rub over the entire card to make sure it was nice and stuck. I cut a piece of white cardstock down to 4 x 5.25 inches and attached it to the inside for future journaling. I finished the card off with a few mini gear embellishments by Tim Holtz.
And voila! A couple of Father’s Day Cards! I think I like how the blue vellum one turned out the best.
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Have a great day!